BUA.122.I50 • Successful Small Business

Spring 2013

FORMAT: Online course

TIME FRAME: Twelve weeks, beginning May 20, 2013 and ending August 12, 2013

INSTRUCTOR : Ron Betzig

OFFICE: 150F Justin Whiting Hall, Jackson Campus

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Email: betzigronalde@jccmi.edu

Please Note: Email is the best way to contact me. I will respond within 24 hours.

Also feel free to call me at (517) 796-8567 or make an appointment to visit my office in Whiting Hall, room 150F.

CREDIT AVAILABLE: 2.0 CEUs

REQUIRED TEXT :

Longenecker, Justin, et al. Small Business Management (16th edition). Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning, 2012.

COURSE DESCRIPTION:

This course is designed for existing or potential owners and/or managers of a small business. Students examine the nature of small business and the factors that contribute to the success of a business. Topics include entrepreneurial opportunities, reasons for the creation of a business plan, managing, financial management, inventory control/purchasing, legal issues, niche marketing, location, ethics. Do you have what it takes to own your own business? Discover that, as well as sources of financing, forms of legal ownership, niche marketing, and how to avoid business failure.

COURSE OBJECTIVES:

The Board of Trustees of Jackson Community College has established a set of Associated Degree Outcomes (ADOs) to be achieved by every student.

This course will specifically address ADO 7D: critical thinking. During the course, students will demonstrate critical thinking through questioning, interpreting, analyzing, evaluating, inferring from and synthesizing information to solve problems in a variety of settings.

COURSE STRUCTURE:

A variety of methods will be used to enhance your understanding of small businesses. Successful business people will visit our class via video. Students will learn from each other in online forums, in which concepts from the readings and videos will be discussed. Individual assignments will allow you to apply the concepts from the course to your own business ideas. Assignments, quizzes, and active participation will be graded, as described below.

EXPECTATIONS OF THE INSTRUCTOR :

1. Provide a lively and useful learning experience. For this to happen, I encourage you to give me honest, respectful feedback at appropriate times regarding what is working for you and what I (we) need to do differently.

2. Thoroughly prepare the course material; pose and answer relevant questions related to that material.

3. Maintain a dialog with students in the online format, but not respond to every posting in this format.

4. Make ample time available outside of class to answer additional questions you may have.

5. Arrange video presentations to provide insights into life as an entrepreneur.

6. Give helpful feedback regarding your work.

EXPECTATIONS OF THE STUDENT :

1. Carefully study the required materials and submit your assignments on time. NO LATE WORK WILL BE ACCEPTED. NOTE: For the online forums, there are two due dates: the first date is when your initial posting is due, and the second date (often two days later) is when your responses to your classmates' postings are due. Please read the instructions for each forum carefully to see the specific due dates, and don't all into the trap of making your initial posting on the last day that the forum is open--which will be too late.

2. Do your part in making this experience valuable for you and your classmates. How do you do that? It’s pretty simple, actually. Be prepared. Think creatively. Participate actively. Treat others respectfully.

3. Establish reliable access to a computer with Internet connection and a printer. The library in Atkinson Hall has these available for you at certain hours of the day, as do many other locations. Check the library calendar if you plan to use these resources.

EVALUATION :

Assignments 50%

Quizzes 20%

Participation 30%

GRADING : Final grades will be assigned according to the following scale:

92 – 100% = 4.0

88 – 91% = 3.5

84 – 87% = 3.0

80 – 83% = 2.5

76 – 79% = 2.0

72– 75% = 1.5

68 – 71% = 1.0

64 – 67% = 0.5

00 – 63% = 0.0

Please note that the above figures are thresholds; for example, a percentage of 75.9% is below the threshold of 76% and therefore receives the grade 1.5.

SPECIAL POLICIES

· ACADEMIC HONESTY : Academic honesty is expected from all students. Those students who violate academic honesty, through plagiarism or other forms of cheating, place themselves at risk of failure.

· WITHDRAW DEADLINE : If you do not wish to receive a grade for this class, because you are not happy with your grade or for any other reason, you must withdraw before the date printed on the college website.

· INCOMPLETES will be given only in accordance with the JCC policy.

· SPECIAL NEEDS : Students with disabilities who believe that they may need accommodations in this class are encouraged to contact the office of Learning Support Services at 517-787-0800, extension 8270/8553 as soon as possible to ensure that such accommodations are implemented in a timely fashion.